immerse yourself in imozer berber village
The journey towards the Tizi-n-Tichka Pass (2,260m) reveals Berber communities, their villages and their traditional lifestyles. The dizzying Tizi-n-Tichka Pass is the apex of the journey before the return to Marrakech.
THE DAY'S ITINERARY
See modern sustainable irrigation techniques (drip systems) on approaching the High Atlas foothills.
Make a stop at Canal du Rocade to understand large scale water management from mountain reservoirs.
Ascend the foothills; stop to view rock strata, uplift, folding and to discuss physical geographical processes at work (past and present).
Berber communities, their lifestyles and activities; view and discuss.
Flash flooding hazard clearly exemplified in this type of environment; causes and impacts.
Argan oil co-operative (project to boost incomes) in Taddert.
Lunch stop in Taddert (included in price).
Onwards and upwards to the Tizi-n-Tichka pass, a High Atlas watershed.
The challenges of living in an extreme environment e.g. road building.
Uplift of fold mountains and incised river systems/meanders.
Return to Marrakech.
geography syllabus relevance
- Fold Mountains
- Hazardous Environments
- Water Management
- Flash Flooding
- Traditional Farming
- Cultural Contrasts
- Options for Development
- Transport and Communications
- Extreme Environments
a day in the high atlas
- Includes transport from Marrakech to/from the Tizi-n-Tichka Pass
- An ATS Moroccan Courier, English speaking;
- Many stops on the journey to engage with physical and human geography topics
- Lunch in Taddert
- Visit to an Argan Oil Co-operative
- The cost per person will depend upon group size.
- Please contact us for a price for your particular group.