a day in the village of douar oulad elguern
This small, traditional village is little changed since its founding about 200 years ago. Farming the main economic activity here but changing climate and recent years of successive droughts has made survival here more and more marginal.
Spending a day with the village community is very special. Nothing is "put on" for visitors, all that you see and experience is as it would be on a normal day.
There are many opportunities to engage with the village activities of the day as well as meeting the very warm and welcoming villagers.
A TYPICAL DOUAR OULAD ELGUERN VISIT ITINERARY
On arrival, be welcomed with the traditional tea ceremony in a typical village home's salon.
Enjoy the traditional "second breakfast" in the salon, typically delicious home made bread, olive oil, olives, honey and butter (all foodstuffs from the land surrounding the village).
Participate in some of the village's daily activities:-
For females: Bread making, couscous making, vegetable preparation with some of the ladies of the village (no doubt with many children around so lots of informal fun;
For males: Fetching water from the village well (with a donkey), making traditional mud & straw bricks, making charcoal, taking a walk around the village a the land of the community.
Enjoy a large and sumptuous early afternoon lunch, traditionally eaten in a salon around a round table and using fingers (traditionally washed first using a basin and kettle; forks and spoons available too!).
After some small siesta time, it's time to take a guided stroll around the village, to see and learn of the challenges facing the community. Also perhaps to visit artisans and being involved in other aspects of village life.
Option: Traditional henna decorative hand painting
Late afternoon return to your accommodation in Marrakech.
Roll over the images for titles
geography syllabus relevance
- Climate Change & its Impact
- Traditional Agriculture
- Understanding Different Cultures
- Rural to Urban Migration, Push & Pull Factors
douar oulad elguern day
- Includes transport from Marrakech to/from Douar Oulad Elguern
- An ATS Moroccan Guide, English speaking;
- Welcoming tea ceremony
- Second breakfast
- Full lunch
- Engagement with many village activities
- The option of organic henna hand painting
- Total for 20 pupil plus 2 teachers is 11880 MAD (1188 EUROS).
- Total for 30 pupil plus 3 teachers is 16080 MAD (1608 EUROS).
- Total for 40 pupil plus 4 teachers is 21600 MAD (2160 EUROS).
- Please contact us for a price for your particular group