CONTRASTING LANDSCAPES AND CULTURES OF THE HIGH ATLAS
Aït Benhaddou is a mightily impressive example of a kasbah, a fortified settlement. It commands a strategic point at the junction of several valleys that were once important trade routes. Now a World Heritage Site, Aït Benhaddou is very well conserved and to roam its narrow streets and alleyways is to go back in time. As well as the intriguing architecture and the commanding views out from the hill fort at the top of the kasbah settlement, many artisans will be encountered – carpet weavers, artists, etchers. Lunch is taken at Aït Benhaddou to allow you plenty time to relax, explore and savour the experience of this “other world”. The more direct return to Marrakech is by the N9 but again there are many options for scenic stops and perhaps gain some more special happenstance encounters.
- A High Atlas day with views towards Toubkal, highest peak (4,160m)
- A partly circular route providing a wide range of landscapes/experiences
- Fascinating Berber scenes, activities and happenstance encounters
- Outward journey on N9 to Taddert (with a mid-morning tea/coffee stop; optional argan oil co-operative visit
- On to Tizi-n-Tichka summit (highest road point) and viewpoint
- Onwards to Aït Benhaddou via Telouèt, a hidden gem of a route
- Time exploring Aït Benhaddou, a fortified kasbah & World Heritage Site; sublime views, narrow alleyways and artisanals at work
- Lunch at Aït Benhaddou
- Return on the N9, taking scenic stops as wished
Ait Ben Haddou day visit from Marrakech
- Includes transport from Marrakech to/from the Ait Ben Haddou Kasbah
- An ATS Moroccan guide, English speaking;
- Many stops on the journey to engage with physical and human geography topics
- Lunch in Ait Ben Haddou Kasbah
- Ait Ben Haddou Kasbah visit
- Visit to an Argan Oil Co-operative
- Total cost for 2 person 3924 MAD ( 392 EUROS).
- Total cost for 4 person 4550 MAD ( 455 EUROS).
- Total cost for 6 person 5172 MAD ( 517 EUROS).
- Please contact us for a price for your particular group.