the peak of the high atlas
Remarkably, the starting point for the trek and climb is only 1½ hours by good road from Marrakech.
The Toubkal summit can be tackled (up and back) in just 2 days for good, high mountain hikers who are used to this sort of terrain and are fit. ATS offers, however, a wide range of treks in Toubkal Massif area, of any number of days’ duration. as well as ascending the summit, such longer hikes include hiking passed Berber villages, their farmscapes and activities, in the many very beautiful valleys of this area. This allows time to “explore and encounter”, very much an aim of all ATS programmes. walking through such a stunning mountain landscape, barely touched by the fast paced, modern world, provides the opportunity to reflect and re-evaluate our own lives.
The Berber culture and heritage has a rich tradition of hospitality, generosity and friendliness towards others. meeting such people and enjoying conversation and interaction (as well as enjoying their superb, freshly cooked food in tagine style) is a real bonus to the hikes.
what you will need ?
You will need to arrive in Marrakech and stay overnight in a hostel or hotel (ATS can arrange airport transfers & local accommodation for you).
- Period: all times of year
- Level: medium to hard
- Highest point: Jebel Toubkal 4167m
- Accommodation: Refuge and camping
OUR 2 DAY / 1 NIGHT ITINERARY
marrakech > imlil (1740m) > toubkal refuge (3200m) : 6 hours of trekking
After lunch we continue to Toubkal Mountain Refuge. After a well deserved dinner of traditional Berber fayre, we spend the night camping nearby (or in the Refuge itself).
toubkal refuge (3200m) > toubkal summit (4167m) > imlil > marrakech : 9 hours of trekking
At the summit we will enjoy fantastic 360 degree panoramic views of the Atlas Mountains, the peaks of the Anti-Atlas including its highest point, the Siroua (3304m) and the Haouez Plains.
Time to enjoy the views, take photographs (including the impressive summit metal ‘cairn’) and relax a little before we begin our descent.
We return to the Refuge, passed Sidi Chamharouch shrine and back to Imlil village.
We then return to Marrakech by executive minibus, 4x4 or taxi.
(all taxes incl.)
- Total for 2 persons: 5520 Dirhams
- Total for 4 persons: 7320 Dirhams
- Total for 6 persons: 9480 Dirhams
- Total for other group sizes please contact us
WHAT ATS OFFERS :
- Return transport from your accommodation in Marrakech to Imlil at the start and end of the hike
- A local Moroccan Guide, English speaking, throughout
- A local cook
- A mule is included to carry belongings (or, when snow conditions are such, porters to carry belongings)
- Overnight accommodation in either a tent or in the Refuge
- Food and water, beginning with lunch on day 1 and ending with lunch on day 2
30% deposit to book; balance to be paid 30 days before tour's commencement; ATS Bank Details will be given.
Last minute bookings can always be discussed (with payment at commencement of day's activity).
If you wish to learn more about this programme, please contact us.
OUR 3 DAY / 2 NIGHT ITINERARY
(all taxes incl.)
- for 2 persons: 7680 dirhams
- for 4 persons: 10920 dirhams
- for 6 persons: 14160 dirhams
- for other group sizes please contact us
WHAT ATS OFFERS :
- return transport from your accommodation in marrakech to imlil at the start and end of the hike
- a local Moroccan guide throughout
- a local cook
- a mule is included to carry belongings (or, when snow conditions are such, porters to carry belongings)
- overnight accommodation for two nights, one night in a gite/auberge/berber home and one in either a tent or in the refuge
- food and water, beginning with lunch on day 1 and ending with lunch on day 3
30% deposit to book; balance to be paid 30 days before tour's commencement; ats bank details will be given.
last minute bookings can always be discussed (with payment at commencement of day's activity).
if you wish to learn more about this programme, please contact us.